Follow me on Twitter

mardi 19 avril 2011

Same old same old

Not the first time I have posted Chrissie Hinds singing this song, Back on the Chain Gang. But in my defense, let me say I have never posted this version, which has a nicely retro MTV feel to it.

Given my current work load, this song sings to me, even though it isn't really about being crushed by The Man. What is it about, exactly? You tell me. It has some intriguing lyrics, like these snippets.

A CIRCUMSTANCE BEYOND OUR CONTROL, OH OH OH OH
THE PHONE, THE TV AND THE NEWS OF THE WORLD
GOT IN THE HOUSE LIKE A PIGEON FROM HELL, OH OH OH OH
THREW SAND IN OUR EYES AND DESCENDED LIKE FLIES

And this:

THE POWERS THAT BE
THAT FORCE US TO LIVE LIKE WE DO
BRING ME TO MY KNEES
WHEN I SEE WHAT THEY'VE DONE TO YOU

Maybe it is about The Man after all.

NOW WE'RE BACK IN THE FIGHT
WE'RE BACK ON THE TRAIN
OH, BACK ON THE CHAIN GANG