Follow me on Twitter

dimanche 5 février 2012

If, on a wintry night...



Have you ever seen something so spectacular you just had to stop and snap a photo, even though you realize the photo will not do justice to the beauty you are so miraculously beholding? On Friday, I was emerging from the Paris métro at Concorde, on my way to meet a friend for a drink at the nearby Hôtel de Crillon. This is what I saw unfolded before my eyes, except that the reality was a million times more breathtaking. The black Tour Eiffel against a winter sky the color of a blood orange, with the big wheel, the traffic, and the other incredulous photo snappers united in a moment of awe. It was all just too beautiful. And all I had for capturing the moment was my iPad. And in my excitement, as well as because of the unbearably cold temperature, not to mention the fact that my friend was waiting for me at the Crillon, I seem to have included my thumb in the photo. Three times. I took this photo three times, and discovered much later that my thumb is in every one.

And for those who have never ventured inside, the Crillon, while magnificant, cannot hold a candle to Paris, ablaze on a freezing wintry evening.