Follow me on Twitter

lundi 16 novembre 2009

Hey! Guess what? Sarah Palin has a new book out!

Just remember you heard it here first. Huh? What do you mean you have already heard that Sarah Palin has a book to promote and that Oprah agreed to give her a leg up in exchange for the straight scoop on Levi Johnston and Katie Couric?



I love this clip from some ABC talking head/punditry program. David Brooks calls Sarah a potential talk-show host; Gwen Eiful refers to her as a bright shiny thing like the balloon boy; George Will likens her - disparagingly, of course - to three-time loser William Jennings Bryan.

And someone - I forget who - notes that this country has serious concerns that merit its attention, and that Sarah is not one of them. She has traded in maverickness for rogueness. Think about the term rogue nation and what it means. Who wants a rogue politician and a bloomin' dingbat, with a laugh that is as awful in its way as Jeff Bezos's, to lead America anywhere? Someone else noted that her appeal to the world's nobodies - the Mr. And Mrs. Joe Sixpacks of American - should not be underestimated or ignored. That's a scary thought.

Anyway, when I heard that laugh of hers, I wanted to run screaming from the room. It was when Oprah asked Sarah if Levi was coming over for Thanksgiving dinner. Or maybe it was when Oprah asked her about the Katie Couric interview. I forget which. You know why? Because I was not really paying attention to what she was saying, or to what Oprah was saying. Because in my book, and in my bookclub, Oprah is just a big fat joke. Powerful, yes. An empire builder, yes. But a big fat joke nonetheless.