Follow me on Twitter

mardi 30 septembre 2008

In Cold Blood or In the Garden of Good and Evil?







Ladies,
For our next book club meeting, I am hesitating between two books. Both are non-fiction; both are true crime stories; both are considered to be among the best of this genre in terms of writing and story-telling. I don't really know why I thought of these two books; actually, that's not true. Today I was listening to NPR and heard that today was the anniversary of the birth or death of Truman Capote, who wrote In Cold Blood. The radio journalist incorrectly identified him as the author of To Kill A Mockingbird, which was actually written by a woman, Capote's childhood friend Harper Lee. So I was all "No, you idiot," as I drove to the dentist. Fortunately, he must have heard me because he corrected his error a few minutes later.

Then, I was talking to Dahli a few minutes ago and she said she wanted to visit Savannah, Georgia, which reminded me of John Berendt's Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.Now I can't decide between the two, both of which are available in paperback by the way.

So please have a look at these two Wikipedia links and let me know which of the two books you cast your vote for. Also, tell me if you have already read one or the other. I've read both but would love to read them again. Send me an email by the end of this week so anyone who needs to can order the book we choose.

http://tinyurl.com/28543k (Wikipedia - Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil John Berendt)

http://tinyurl.com/43nrr5 (Wikipedia - In Cold Blood by Truman Capote)

As for the date, I am suggesting Tuesday, October 27. Does that work? By early next week, I'll send out that promised annual calendar and y'all can sign up for dates to host.
P.S. If you scroll down in this blog and see an entry called "I Hate Bookclub," don't be alarmed. It refers to my French bookclub, which I quit. Too boring.